I have a treat for you today =) …My good friend Kate sent over her top 3 Ab exercises for you.
You’ve probably heard me mention Kate…she’s one of my good friends from New York and soon she is moving down here to sunny California!
I’m super excited to have her in my hometown…and we know what this means…exciting new workouts for you…
But…in the meantime, she sent over this short but super effective ab workout for you to try at home… =======================================================================
3 Must Do Exercises for Flat Abs
by Kate Vildulich, BSc, ACSM, Master CTT
Author, Ab Accelerators
There are articles everywhere about the dangers and risk of injury to your lower back… But despite this, the crunch is still the most popular ab exercise for one reason: anyone can do it.
The thing is, that doesn’t mean it’s the most effective ab exercise. Seriously, would you rather be doing the same exercises as an out-of-shape housewife or the ab workout of a sexy Olympic gymnast? Exactly.
Although most gymnasts have probably never bothered with crunches, they’ve been doing variations of the #1 exercise below for decades. Follow along below and you’ll soon understand why the peeps with the best abs in the gym always seem to be the only ones doing these exercises…
1. Hanging Knee Raises
Consider this movement the “gold standard” for all ab exercises, just as the pull up is for your back. It works like this:
– Grab a chinup bar with an overhand grip, your hands slightly wider than shoulder width.
– Simultaneously bend your knees, raise your hips, and curl your lower back underneath you as you lift your thighs toward your chest. Imagine scooping your hips up and forward
. – Pause for a second when the fronts of your thighs reach your chest, then lower your legs and repeat. Avoid leaning backwards.
Sound hard? That’s because it is. Proper execution requires strength, endurance, and flexibility (of your abs, back, and hips), and a strong grip.
Which is why few folks can do even one with perfect form. But don’t feel discouraged. You can start with this strength building exercise instead.
Lying Leg Raises:
– Lie on your back and raise your legs over your hips, with your knees slightly bent.
– Press the small of your back into the floor to eliminate the arch in your lower back. Keep your back in this position as you take 3-5 seconds to lower your legs.
– Upon reaching the lowest point at which you can still keep your back flat, bring your legs to your chest. Try to lower your legs more with each repetition. Aim for 10-12 reps for 3 sets.
2. Walkouts to Cross Body Mountain Climbers
This is a straight forward yet effective core exercise that requires no equipment that will turn your abs to rocks. It teaches your abs and lower-back muscles to play nicely together, and also develops strength and stability in the shoulders while creating a “metabolic disturbance” like no other.
This exercise is highly effective because it creates a “metabolic flush” meaning the blood is shunted from your legs, to your upper body and back to your legs again in quick succession.
– Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart
– Hinge forward at your hips and touch the floor with your palms
– Walk your hands forward until you are supporting all your weight on your hands and toes, in a plank position
– Your body should make a straight line and your hands should line up with your shoulders. Hold for 2 seconds
– Do a cross body mountain climber, driving your right knee to left elbow, and left knee to right elbow.
– Walk your hands back to starting position and repeat.
3. Side Plank
Planks and side planks are awesome for core strength, improving hip issues, and helping people overcome lower-back pain. The side plank especially is a low-risk, high-benefit exercise – and you should be doing it!
– Lie on your left side and your right leg on top of your left
– Position yourself so your weight rests on your left forearm and the edge of your left foot. Your left elbow should be directly under your shoulder, with upper arm perpendicular to the floor
– Lift your hips until your body is in a straight line from neck to ankles
– Put your right arm up in air and hold this position for prescribed time. You should be able to hold at least 30s.
Ab Accelerators is ab training done right <== Get 21 Ab Workouts here
Use this 1-2 punch to lose belly fat, and then carve some crazy definition while you lose the flub…
Kate Vidulich, BSc, ACSM, Master CTT
Find more fun and effective Ab exercises from Kate…HERE!
Leave a Reply